Friday, December 30, 2011

Bestie Bestie

Research shows that people who are the happiest are those who have friends. In my experience truer words have never been spoken.

For as long as I have known her, Allison has been sending me the most wonderful packages because she is thoughtful like that.

In this day and age of mailboxes crammed with junk mail and offers of credit cards I do not want, along with the bills I still get in paper format, these packages are so incredibly delightful to receive.

They are like a hug from my friend who lives all the way across the country.

Yesterday I got one of the best packages of all time.


Allison made me a book and it is infused with her creativity and loveliness and in the pages and pictures is the essence of our conversations and our wishes and dreams.

It's so beautiful and it makes me so happy I want to wear it on a ribbon around my neck so that I can look at it always.

This year our friendship turned 10 years old, yet it feels like we have known each other for lifetimes. She is a sister I got to choose.


We tell each other literally everything and we keep each others secrets. Although we live on opposite sides of the country and see each other once or twice a year if we are lucky, we are ever present in the day to day living of life.

There is no effort or obligation and we laugh uproariously, or as one observer commented, bawdily, at ourselves and the things we do. Things we can never speak about because... well we just can't, but she's definitely the one who would help me hide a body. We swap shoulders when there are tears and celebrate the successes when they arrive.


Life can be challenging and sometimes difficult, but having a bestie who knows you so well that words are not necessary, who will sit on the phone and watch Bring It On, who remembers the details of every story you've told her - well that makes the hard times easier to manage.


Our best friends are gifts in themselves, but having a best friend who is creative, talented, hilarious and twisted in all the best ways AND who sends packages that bring smiles and give hugs - that's a best bestie.

Thank you Allison - I hope all your dreams come true in the new year - I love you friend.

Susie

1 comment:

Hello. said...

Oh my gosh! I love you back and front, my twisted sister! Thank YOU for everything! I am so lucky to have you in my life. Looking forward to making 2012 our best year yet! Bring it!
OXO

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...