Tuesday, June 19, 2012

50 Shades of Gold

I've tried to read 50 Shades of Grey and I really wanted to like it, to be turned on, to be swept away (the Wertmuller version, not the version where Madonna vogued her way across the Med).  Instead I found myself a bit bored with the Ferrari without an engine that is Christian Grey.  There's just not enough happening there in the wit and wisdom department and well, I got distracted.

I'm obviously not the target audience.

When it comes to smart writing with wit, humor and a true sensuality, I find that there is no one better than Jonathan Gold, the Pulitzer prize winning food writer.  The man has lured me into parts of Los Angeles that I did not know existed.  His book, Counter Intelligence, lives in the glove compartment of my car, always ready to take me on an adventure where I will be truly titillated and definitely sated.

Now writing for the LA Times, Mr. Gold is my go to guy when I am looking for a culinary one night stand, an opportunity to indulge my food fetish.  Recently I was meeting a friend for dinner at Tar & Roses, a new restaurant in Santa Monica.  I don't think much of most of the restaurants in Santa Monica - they seem to be much more about showing off your tan than getting your grind on, however a little googling brought up this review  sharing how "the food plays nicely with the alcohol" and my palate could look forward to being lit up like a pinball machine.

Holla!

I loved everything I ate, so much so, that by the time I remembered to take a picture I'd decimated the plate.  If they sold the popcorn appetizer by the bag I would have taken some home - in addition to the brown sugar and chili, there is bacon! 



For me sex and food go hand in hand - it's one big sensual adventure - and I'll take Mr. Gold over Mr. Grey any day.

No comments:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...