Thursday, December 29, 2011

Joy In The Morning - Speak to Me!

Do you ever have those mornings when you just do not want to get out of bed and start your day?

I have them quite a lot because between the insomnia and the hot flashes I don't sleep so well and when the light comes creeping in I am more often than not exhausted.

Thankfully I have the best shower in the world, or rather the best shower head.

Now before you go there let me just say that it's not "that" kind of shower head.  This one is firmly planted on the wall about 6" over my head but I am deeply attached to it.

It's a Speakman Anystream with six little doodads, and every time I step into the shower it makes me go aaaaahhhhhhh!

The Speakman was given to me as a Christmas gift in 2001 and to this day it is in a tie with my Vitamix as the Best Gift Ever, although it certainly didn't start out that way.

I was dating RJ at the time who continues to be one of my favorite man friends. When Christmas rolled around he gave me a plastic bag from Home Depot with this shower head in it. "This is the best shower head in the world," he said, "you are going to love this!"

At the time I was kind of taken aback, I remember thinking seriously dude? A shower head?

I know that I did not express excitment or glee. In fact, I'm pretty sure I was snarky and obviously disappointed.

I brought it home and put it somewhere so it wouldn't affront me with it's lack of romance. A few days later RJ came over with his tools - now we're talkin - and some plumbers tape. He removed the flow restrictor (which makes ALL the difference) and installed the shower head. Somewhat mollified by the fact that I got to watch him use tools and be handy I began to feel, if not enthusiastic about this gift, at least appreciative.

The next morning I got in the shower and turned it on and I swear to God I broke into spontaneous song. The warm water beat down on my body and carressed me in a warm, coursing flow that made even my blood sing and awakened me in mind, body and spirit.

I know I sound crazy, but it's true.

I have friends who will come over and find an excuse to use my shower.  Unfortunately, because the flow restrictor was removed I bang on the door after 5 minutes as I was born and raised in Southern California so I have drought mentality when it comes to water usage.

But those are the best 5 minutes of their day.

And every morning when I step into my shower I feel a little surge of love and appreciation for RJ who gave me the best shower head in the world, that I do totally love - a gift that keeps on giving. 

SLP

No comments:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...