Thursday, December 29, 2011

Slow-Cooker Bacon Jam

@Allison Tyler 2011
Having spent many years of my life as a vegetarian, and even a spell as a vegan, I can relate to that old standby that, to some, bacon is a vegetable.  Now, after nearly a decade of being a disgusting, selfish carnivore again, I do so enjoy me some pig.

On Thanksgiving, I tried it in a way I never have before, recipe courtesy of Dame Martha Stewart.  Oh my gosh, is it good.

You fry up some bacon, cook some garlic and onions in the drippings, add vinegar, dark brown sugar, maple syrup and brewed coffee, allow it to simmer for a few hours, uncovered in the slow-cooker, while it scents your whole house in the most delicious way, and then you share it with people who may at first give it a funny look, but then will devour it.

This photo is from the first time I made it.  The second time I made it, I ground it much finer in the food processor and although it still looked akin to dog food, it was prettier and quite possibly even tastier.  I recommend you do the same.

What to eat it with?  Crackers or bread, to start.  I also stirred a big spoonful into my bowl of potato-leek soup, topped a baked potato with it, added it to tomato soup, mixed some in with a salad, and put some on a turkey-and-cranberry-sauce sandwich.

If you make it, let me know what you ate it with.  A girl can never have enough bacon.

OXO

Allison


No comments:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...